Saturday, December 10, 2011

Surrender

The name of my blog is "surrender." When I made it, I think I thought it was a good idea. This idea of surrender in the Bible... seems reasonable, right?

The more I mature in my Christian faith, the more I realize that surrender entails and encompasses more and more of my life.

Yesterday my dad was in a car accident. He was driving really early in the morning (5am), and he hit a spot that was really icy, and his car turned on its side, only stopped by the tree it hit, miraculously having his life spared by the Lord. I found all of this out right before the small group I was leading. Topic of the small group: dying to self.

As an internal processor, it didn't immediately hit me. In fact, I'm still very much processing. But I think the Lord is asking me to surrender this to him. There's a cost to follow Christ--it's no easy task. But dying to one's self means identifying with Christ and experiencing life. We are to put nothing else before our Lord--not our parents, siblings, children, careers, educations, etc. He must be the One who reigns.

Immediately when I found out that my dad was in the accident, I was worried about him spiritually. He's not a follower of Christ, and I was instantly overwhelmed by this. What has the Lord called me to do that I have been resistant to do?

So as I think more about this, I must surrender my desire for control over my dad's life up to the Lord. I must realize that there are certain things that I must give to God and know that He is sovereign. I cannot control life or death situations, and I surely can't control if people come to Christ or not. But I can be bold and courageous by sharing Christ's love, the cure to the sin disease, and being obedient to Him, and I can believe in my God's goodness and sovereignty, surrendering to Him in light of these attributes.

No comments:

Post a Comment