"For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect"..."But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God; and righteousness and sanctification and redemption..." (1 Corinthians 1:17, 30).
I just started studying 1 Corinthians today. Started with the first chapter of course. These verses really stuck out to me. Wisdom of words. I am not an eloquent person. I speak with very simple words, and I have a very small vocabulary. Something I've always been very self-conscious about. I also have difficulty articulating my thoughts. Again, another thing I've always been self-conscious about. But, alas, the Lord tells me that it's not about wisdom of words. I will not win hearts for the Lord through my words. God will win over the hearts of men. No one else. This is such a relief. For some, this may be very convicting. However, for someone who has difficulty conveying my thoughts through words, this is so reassuring. And it's also been great to remember that God has used me in the past to share his gospel, and I definitely have not had the most eloquent of phrases or words. But God reached the hearts of many, and to Him goes all of the credit.
And as for the second part. Verses 30-31. Jesus is God's wisdom. Last year, Arijaan Bulk (whom I'm going to miss so much when she leaves Cal soon!) recommended I read David Guzik's commentaries on Blue Letter Bible when I wanted a little more insight into a verse. I love that he says, "True wisdom doesn’t have to do with “getting smart”; God’s wisdom is received in and through the person of Jesus". That's it. Ahhhh such a comforting thought.
It's funny. I've read this chapter so many times, but never has it stood out to me as much as it did this morning when I was reading it. To God be all the glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment